Sunday, October 7, 2012

Speed Work and Curry FTW.

I have some seriously mixed feelings about speed work. I generally liken my relationship with it to the one that most kids have with vegetables. In the past, on days that I would unluckily have speed training scheduled, I would literally procrastinate for the entire day and then use the excuse of "I'm dreadfully terrified of werewolves" to get out of my workout. Even such common motivators as picturing a throng of gamma-infused zombies, a tyrannosaurus, or even some crazed stranger dressed like Peter Pan and threatening to steal my shadow chasing after me don't seem to light a fire of sufficient magnitude under my butt to actually get said butt out of the apartment and off on speed work. Sometimes I imagine that channeling Wonder Pets and singing to myself, "What's gonna work! SPEED WORK! What's gonna work! SPEEEEED WORK!" will help, but I usually find I wind up singing the original song with my four-year-old and then going to bed sans run three hours early, instead.

But, the thing about speed work is that, like forcing down vegetables, one tends to feel pretty fantastic after tapping into one's inner masochist and suffering through it. One also tends to feel even more fantastic when (again, like forcing down vegetables) it pays off.



I can't make as many excuses not to do intervals when this is what I'm looking at, anyway. :)

In any case, considering that I'd like to spend a few months improving my 5k, it looks as though I'll need more servings of the running equivalent of butterless brussels sprouts, i.e. speed training... whether I like it or not. Even such beautiful scenery might find a Herculean challenge in beckoning me out to complete a couple of sets of 800s. I imagine that in upcoming weeks, I'll frequently find myself falling to my knees, grabbing my chest and wailing, "Are you there, Rocky?! It's me, Kate!" 

My husband, thankfully, knows me well enough to attempt to motivate me by sending me videos of Sylvester Stallone undergoing his weight training routines. *bliss*

Outside of ogling the admirable Sylvester, I've found in recent weeks that what has drawn me the most successfully to completing speed workouts has been the idea of overcoming my endurance limits and extending them beyond what they currently are. It's not unlike the thought process of, Well, I've already completed 10 miles, why not try for two more? And following, realizing that not only could you do it, but you DID, there is a pretty pronounced feeling of unparalleled accomplishment--the kind that keeps a person grinning like a Barbie or Ken doll for days at a time. So, I normally keep a goal in mind that is realistic considering my current condition, and then, depending on how I'm feeling, see how much farther I can reasonably take myself. More times than not, I surprise myself with how much I truly can endure and overcome. And the feeling of that alone is gratifying enough that it almost completely dispels any doubt, hesitation or previous lack of motivation. In short, keeping the knowledge that I'll likely be feeling this variety of pretty awesome after an intense speed training session in mind beforehand sees me on that pictured quarter mile trail loop more than imagining a drooling, staggering monster chasing me does.

Besides, a bottle of chocolate milk and a dinner of chicken with pumpkin curry sauce are both that much tastier when you've owned a seriously tough speed training workout. :)

Recipe of the Month: Chicken with Pumpkin Curry Sauce

This is a great fall dish and one of my husband's favorites. My daughter doesn't care much for the carrots or raisins, but she at least likes the chicken. :) Apart from it being delicious, it's surprisingly really easy and economical to make, too. ^_^

1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast, cooked and chopped to bite-sized pieces
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
One yellow onion, diced
Two carrots, grated
1/2-3/4 cup chicken stock (a couple of glugs)
About 1/4 cup golden raisins (a small handful)
About 1/2 cup (a couple of big blobs) canned or fresh-roasted pureed pumpkin
About 1 tbsp. good quality curry powder or garam masala (about a heaping palmful--you can increase or decrease the amount according to your preference)
Salt to taste
1/3 cup chopped, toasted pecans
1/4-1/2 cup plain yogurt (A good-sized blob or two, depends on how creamy you like your curry, you can use 2-4 turns of the pan of heavy cream, too, if you'd rather)

You can brown the chicken in the same pan and then set it aside to return it to the pan later, but I prefer to cook it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 35 minutes and then tent it with foil until the sauce is complete. This, I've learned, helps keep the chicken moist and tender and helps avoid overcooking it in the way that pan-cooking sometimes does. It's completely up to you, though. :)

Cook the vegetables in vegetable oil over medium-high heat until tender. Stir in chicken stock and heat through. Add raisins and let the sauce sit for a couple of minutes, then mix in pumpkin and stir until smooth and heat that through, as well. Add curry powder or garam masala and salt, then stir in pecans and chicken/chicken juices. Allow to simmer a little while over low heat (15 minutes or so), and then add yogurt or cream and stir until smooth. Serve with jasmine or long grain brown rice, some naan or chapati, and enjoy!

Photo coming soon--when we last had this, we devoured it so fast there was no time for a Kodak moment. :)
.














No comments:

Post a Comment